Aquatic Invertebrates of Montana
Montana Oligochaeta List Summary
These are poorly known in Montana, but they are under current investigaiton in support of salmonid whirling disease research. Currently 6 families and about 31 species are known from Montana.
The following codes apply to the species list:
- ?species -this species is expected in Montana, but not yet seen, or recognized
- !species -this species is reported from Montana in the literature, but not yet seen.
- species? -this species is not fully verified in Montana yet.
Everything is recent- I will start using this for 1997 finds!
This remains a wide open field in our area. I am particularly interesting in getting help in sampling the bottoms of Montana lakes.
Some name changes
- Peloscolex freyi is now Isochaetides freyi
- Psammoryctides minutus is now Varichaetadrilus minutus
- Tubifex kessleri americanus is now Tasserkidrilus kessleri
- Psammoryctides curvisetosus is now Isochaetides curvisetosus
- Peloscolex nikolskyi is now Spirosperma nikolskyi
- Peloscolex oregonensis is now Spirosperma nikolskyi
- Peloscolex variegatus is now Spirosperma nikolskyi
- Ralph Brinkhurst and Deedee Kathman (Aquatic Resources Center Franklin, TN) have provided useful information of working with oligochaetes and they have determined many Montana specimens.
- Mark Wetzel (Illinois Natural History Survey) provided useful information of working with oligochaetes and has determined some Montana specimens.
13 APR 1996, updated on 29 DEC 1996, D.L. Gustafson
AIM home page